Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dragon Age II



I'm not exactly looking forward to the next installment of the Dragon Age games. The general consensus seems to be a form of extreme anticipation that I'm just not understanding. The trailer looks beautiful to say the least and I'm intrigued by the magic he uses, mainly summoning the hands of Dagon to rip his enemy apart.

But I found the first Dragon Age extremely lackluster. I've only played through the game once, but I've played through a couple of the different intro stories. The character I was using happened to be a mage, and maybe that's why I dislike it. About half way through the game it began to get extremely boring and repetitive. No matter the enemies I always ended up casting the same rotation of spells and winning every time.

To me this is one of the worst offenses a game can commit. Core gameplay should never get boring. I can live with a game with a boring story, with mediocre or even crappy graphics, but when a game becomes repetitive and boring that is a serious problem. When you get down to it games are meant to entertain and one with boring gameplay cannot do that. All these things are important to a game, but to me gameplay is the end all be all.

No comments:

Post a Comment